Saturday, December 31, 2016

"Have you ever fired your gun up in the air and gone 'aarrr'?"

"Punch. That. Shit!"

"Fire up the roof...."

"Bring the noise!"

*********************************************

These lines (all quoted in one of my favorite films; can you name it?) are delightfully metaphorical as well as timely, given the date. You're feeling brave, you have a goal to accomplish, and it's time to go out there and get it done. 

Every year brings joy as well as obstacle...and 2016 made sure it did its duty: my beautiful nieces were born, I gained a brother-in-law as well as a nephew, my bipolar disorder brought me further into the land of mania, I lost my therapist of 11 years, started two novels, gained a piano, lost a few friends, stopped working for a major orchestra, started working for 3 different groups surrounding my mental illness, etc. In short, I seemed to leave one world behind, and have begun to forge my own new one. Thus, I have some goals for the 365 days ahead. 

I am going to learn to play the guitar, as I have wanted to do since I first saw Ms. Ani diFranco blow everyone's minds via "Living in Clip" in 1997. I think 20 years has brought enough life experience and clarity to start that journey, eh? 😉 

I am going to complete some musical projects I've tossed to the back burner for a few journeys of the sun. I dare not speak them aloud, lest they vanish into dust upon utterance. 

I am going to build a website that incorporates my writing, music, and advocacy lives. 

Finally, I am going to complete at least one of the novels I've begun.

Lofty goals? Probably. Impossible goals? Nope. 


“Little hand says it's time to rock ‘n’ roll…”



No comments:

Post a Comment