Saturday, December 24, 2016

My Rosa

I am reading a book by Mark Shriver entitled “Pilgrimage”. It's a biography of the current Pope, Francis. In its beginning chapters, Shriver details Pope Francis’ earliest days in the Catholic faith. He was heavily influenced by his grandmother Rosa. She herself was a devout Catholic who taught him to pray and taught him to live and work for the good of others. As I read these pages, I cannot help but think of the Rosa in my own life. Her name is Eileen Dillon. 


Eileen, or “Biggy” to the family, is a devout Catholic. She was born in February of 1917, the third of nine children. In her own words, she had a childhood of “love, prayer, and the beautiful Mass”. She worked tirelessly her entire life, helping her family in all things, and retired in her 80s. She lives in an apartment in Somerville now, and continues to live a life of prayerful observance. 


Eileen became “Big Eileen” when my grandmother named her second child after her big sister (Nana is the ninth of the Dillons). Over the years Eileen became “Big Eileen”, then “Big E”, and by the time I came along in 1979, “Biggy”. Though we are separated in age by 70+ years, our lives together have been far closer. She has become one of my most staunch supporters, but really, helping others is simply a part of her nature. 


Biggy is the woman who hands whatever money she has in her pocketbook to a homeless person on the street, never questioning what it will be spent on. And don't you dare question her! 


Biggy is the woman who finds out a family is in need and gives them everything they could need or want. The only requirement is that they never know where the help came from.


Biggy is the woman who hears that you'd like to go to a certain place, or see a certain thing, or are just feeling down, and she pops you in the car and you're off to that place! (I have personally found myself in NYC and Ireland, just because Biggy heard that I'd never been before.)


But most importantly, Biggy is the woman who believes that God, through intercession by the saints and the Blessed Mother, can heal all wounds: physical, emotional, and spiritual. Her intense devotion, to the Blessed Mother in particular, is something that will always be ingrained in me. 


When I was a little girl, my parents prayed with me every night. Sometimes when Biggy would babysit, we would pray the rosary together. I can't remember who first taught me to say the rosary, but I will never forget the importance and solace of it. My parents, aunts, uncles, and older family each hold a corner of my praying history, but Biggy is a little different than the rest. She explained stories of the visitations by the Blessed Mother in detail. She showed me all the good the Blessed Mother has done on our behalf. She always reminded me to bring my trials and triumphs to her as well as God. She and my Dad taught me about the children at Fatima. Biggy told me about my birth date, the feast day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and how important the day is in the family as well as the religious calendar.


When my mental illness began to skyrocket in my 20s, Biggy would write me cards reminding me to continue to pray to the Blessed Mother. She would send medals, Mass cards, and her own wishes for my improved health. In the last 2 years, she has begun to pray to St Therese (The Little Flower) every day for me. She said to me recently “I have great hopes for the Little Flower; she will intercede for you!”. I have begun praying to her as well as my standbys: Our Lady of Mount Carmel and the patron saint of mental health, St. Dymphna. 


Biggy is not a quiet person when it comes to her faith. She will tell you exactly what she thinks and why she thinks it. While we don't always agree, we absolutely respect the right to each other's opinions, and enjoy talking over all things faith & religion. Her faith knows no end, and her fierce devotion creates in her an incredible warrior for Christ. 


I am so grateful to Biggy for her guidance and example. When I am feeling my most desperate, and can't seem to find my way in my prayer and beliefs, I think “How would Biggy handle this?”and push through, begging the Blessed Mother & The Little Flower to give me a hand. 


Biggy and I make each other laugh a lot. When I call her and we chat, I realize that not only do I have a lot of respect & love for her as a great-aunt, I genuinely consider her a friend. She is an incredible confidante to me. She is the kind of woman who gives gives gives, and makes sure she gives you a healthy helping of opinion as well. She is the woman who heard that I loved Thomas Hampson and then brought me to see him play Don Giovanni at the MET, in the front row of course. She is also a person will listen to me and remind me of the good that the Lord can do, if we only stop long enough to take that good in. 


So on this Christmas Eve, I shall say my prayers and send my personal intentions up to my God, Blessed Mother, and saints. And I shall thank them for Biggy, my own Rosa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment